Library History


A Women's Club

On May 10, 1916, 12 women formed a reading club called the œAlburgh Village Improvement Society.

The annual dues were $1.00.

These twelve women met twice a month at the Sabre House and attendees paid a 10 cent fee to attend each meeting.

Shelves were installed and a library and reading room was established, each member in turn served as librarian.

This small group of original and visionary founders of the Alburgh Library Association, could find much pride in the present library which represents the many years by so many, of much devotion and cooperative effort.
-Selection from Stratton's History: Town of Alburgh

Mrs. Marion Flynn 1st Vice President
Mrs. Minnie Bell 2nd Vice President
Mrs. Lola B. Mott Sec. & Treas.
Mrs. Elsie Howard
Mrs. Carrie Martin
Mrs. Henry Mott
Mrs. Martha Peterson
Mrs. Ethel Maurice
Mrs. Agnes Morton
Mrs. Charlotte Corse
Mrs. Marion Flynn 1st Vice President
Mrs. Minnie Bell 2nd Vice President
Mrs. Lola B. Mott Sec. & Treas.
Mrs. Elsie Howard
Mrs. Carrie Martin
Mrs. Henry Mott

About this time the original library at Alburgh Center was closed. The books were given to the Alburgh Village Improvement Society.
By July 1918, there were two libraries in town. One was known as the Town Library with Mrs. Josie R. Lewis as librarian.
The other was called Village Library with Mrs. Evelyn Stiles as president.
These dual libraries continued into 1925.

Ch...Ch...Ch...Changes!
In June of 1918 it was voted to change the name of the Alburgh Village Improvement Society to the Alburgh Village Library Association.
The library was turned over to the Village of Alburgh in 1918 and began receiving state aid.
The village elected 5 library trustees and voted $25.00 for the purchase of the books.

Innovation: Wider Access to Books
In September of 1924, the Vermont Library Commission met with Grand Isle County library trustees to form an Inter-Library Loan Association.
This plan, the first of its kind in the country, allowed the five towns to exchange books. It continued until 1951 when the Bookmobile plan originated.
Alburgh Public Library
16 So. Main St Alburgh, VT 05440
802-796-6077
alburghpl@gmail.com
Alburgh Public Library-All Rights Reserved 2017